Tuesday, October 15, 2013

When a Quilt is Like a Hug

About two and a half months ago a sweet young couple, Andrew and Sharria got married. Six weeks later they found out that Andrew was very ill. When Jess and I heard about this, we felt pretty heart broken. We've known this family longer than My Guy and I have been married.  
The day after we found out, I read Sharria's FB post, she said she had been singing this children's Bible class song to herself. 
Then I couldn't get the song out of my head. 
The next day, I told Jess we needed to make them a quilt. 
She said of course. 
For the next four days we worked and it was pretty awesome. I don't like to be too publicly emotional about things but, this was, for me, a prayer vigil for this couple. Jess and I wanted them to have something tangible to hold onto while they are going through this time, something to help them remember there are a lot of people praying.
Jess and I knew we wanted a scrappy rainbow quilt. Rainbows are hope and promise.
 We were inspired by this quilt at crazy mom quilts.
 I knew I wanted the lyrics appliqued on the quilt and even though Jess thought I was a bit crazy for choosing to applique it, she went along with it and cut the all letters out for me. 
 I cannot tell you how much we both adore this quilt. How happy it made us to send it off in time for their journey. How much we hope they continue to feel the love we sewed into this.
 Because quilting is a community thing, I have scraps from friends. These are a couple of scraps I really enjoyed using in the quilt. Thanks ladies.
 Jessica found a lovely herringbone flannel at Joann. We did simple wobbly organic straight line quilting. All of our piecing and quilting was done with Aurifil thread. 
 Andrew goes in for surgery today. If you have a moment please say a prayer for him, and his family.
If you'd like to read more about this couple you can go here to their Rally for Andrew page or here for their Face Book page.
Thanks so much for stopping by.


9 comments:

  1. God bless you both for pouring so much LOVE into your HUG QUILT. Corinnea, I know you are working full-time and I'm guessin' you didn't get much sleep for a while! The quilt is beautiful, its creators are even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...for YOU! Is how this song ends and I'm fully trusting The Lord has an answer for this sweet couple. What a privilege to know them and be able to stand in the gap for them! You are both amazing women and there is always Hope! Bless you both and this family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have the words to tell you what I feel as I read your words and see what you created; other than you two are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are both such incredibly beautiful people. Truly and thoroughly beautiful. My prayers are with Andrew and his family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the quilt and think it is wonderful that you and Jessica made the quilt for Andrew. Prayers are a wonderful thing, and am praying that Andrew gets better. Love the rainbow colors on the quilt, so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. I'm blown away! Those fabrics have all been on a long journey and I hope they do feel loved when they snuggle with it. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is ah-mazing! I love it and I know they will too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome quilt! And powerful! Praying for your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is phenomenal. I LOVE IT.
    It is totally inspiring me to make one... Can you tell us how you did the applique? The letters are so sharp and clean!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment
or follow us!
PLEASE make sure that you leave a way for us to contact you back if you have a question. We have been having a lot of comments/questions from individuals who have a profile but still no way to contact them.
You can also email us if you want to be sure to hear back!