Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Quilt- Swiss Army Style


I have slowly, so slowly, but surely tried to make quilts for everyone in my family. I have been knocking around ideas for this guy's quilt for quite awhile now. He's my big boy and he travels a lot, to far away places. I hate to saddle people with "things" if it is not convenient to their lives but I finally just had to do it and I'm glad I did. Cause, look at that face. Yes, I know that he is all grown up, but yikes, it seriously seems like yesterday that this man was only seven.
 This is my take on the old Swiss Army Blankets. I love those things and thought why not interpret it into a quilt? Since my son is 6'2" I made it long. Maybe ridiculously long, but I wanted him to be warm. I think it ended up over 8 feet. Silly me, I didn't measure but you can see when he holds it up it still drags the ground. When they originally produced the wool army blankets, the maker embroidered their initials and the year made on the blanket in the lower left corner. My twist on that was to embroider his initials and the year in the same corner. Of course I forgot to get a picture of that, because I waited until the day before he left to take the pictures and I may or may not have been close to boo hooing.

 I used Kona Cotton in white, coal and cardinal to piece the quilt and quilted the many, many mostly straight lines in Aurifil 50 weight Dove Grey. I kept the back simple with the same fabrics.

I love that he wrote me a few days after he left to let me know that the length of the quilt was the best part, and it was in fact keeping him warm. That's the whole point, isn't it?

7 comments:

  1. I love this face!! But, to the quilt, it is amazing and I am confident that he loves it. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilt! Such a great idea, and love the boy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, love the whole thing. Special quilt, special boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How freakin cool! Isn't Switzerland where you guys always went skiing? Or was it Austria? In any case, the quilt is way cool! If you squint you can see the initials in the photo. Really neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's lovely! I live in Switzerland and have made smaller Swiss flag quilts for friends who have left. This is a fabulous take on the original! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment
or follow us!
PLEASE make sure that you leave a way for us to contact you back if you have a question. We have been having a lot of comments/questions from individuals who have a profile but still no way to contact them.
You can also email us if you want to be sure to hear back!